Staines Town FC vs Welling United FC



Tuesday 11th August 2020 (7:45pm) – friendly


Staines were given a serious work-out by Welling United of the National League South on a very warm evening in their third “behind closed doors” friendly.  The game was covered live on Radio Welling (commentary by Alan Heath and Staines’ and Radio Wey’s own Clive Stevens).  The hosts attacked the Penton Hook Road end in the first half on a good flat pitch, which showed a few signs of being scorched in the recent heatwave.  On the bench as one of the Wings’ coaches was former Swan Mahrez Bettache.

The game was only 3 minutes old when Matty Whichelow made hay down the right side for Welling, and his pinpoint centre left Dipo Akinyemi with an unmissable chance to open the scoring.  The same player wasted little time in making it 0-2, receiving the ball in the 9th minute and exhibiting fine skill and a clinical finish in the box.   A fantastic one-handed save by Lee Wyatt, pushing the ball over the bar, denied Akinyemi a 12th minute hat-trick, and a few minutes later the other ‘keeper, Dan Wilks of Welling, was called into action with an outstretched arm saving just as it seemed Tyreke Leslie had rounded him and would reduce the arrears.  Wyatt’s next save from Akinyemi was judged a foul, but the resulting free kick was deflected over the bar to safety.  But Akinyemi was not to be denied his hat-trick, even though Wyatt initially made a fine save to his burst in the 31st minute, but the ball rebounded back to him and he made no mistake at the second attempt, the ball grazing the post on the way in.  A promising Staines move on 34 minutes saw Temi Eweka and Tyreke Leslie combine to put William Efambe through, but his shot was diverted away from goal and the hosts had to be content with their first corner of the evening.  Wilks earned hois corn again 9 minutes later with a fine double save from Efambe, and Staines threatened again during first half stoppage time, Tayo Oyebola seeing his shot fizz just wide following a good move.

Having recovered from the early bombardment, Staines settled into a good rhythm in the second half, and gave their esteemed guests something to think about.  They went close again shortly before the drinks break, Nassim Dukali winning the ball and passing to Sebastian Osei-Obengo, only for his powerful strike from distance to be blocked by a defender.  The Swans got their reward on 84 minutes, when a rash challenge sent Sebastian Osei-Obengo sprawling, and he duly converted from 12 yards after Mr Griffin had immediately pointed to the spot.  Staines had looked much more of a unit after getting the measure of their opponents in the second half, and might have made the scoreline all the more respectable in the 90th minute only for the Welling defence to clear its lines after more good work by Dukali.  However, the very last kick of the game, in the 3rd minute of stoppage time, brought Welling a fourth goal, the ball being played out wide for Korrey Henry to beat Justice Owusu with a shot from a tight angle to make it 1-4.

A Big shout out for Emma Voight who helped with the match photos !


Date Time League Season
13th August 2020 2:16 pm Friendly 2020-21


Wheatsheaf Park
12A Wheatsheaf Ln, Staines TW18 2PE, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Staines Town FC011Loss
Welling United FC344Win
Yellow Cards
Red Cards